Project conceived by Jane Cox and Suzanne Agins
The first undergraduate co-ed class arrived at Princeton University in the fall of 1969. In celebration of this milestone in 2019, the Program in Theater is facilitating journalistic research by three generations of Princeton women—current students, professional artist alumnae, and the first generation of graduating women—to culminate in a theatrical event exploring the experiences of women at the University.
Students will be paired with professional artist alumnae to research and create new, short performances about women who graduated from Princeton in the first few years of co-education at Princeton.
The process, led by Theater Director Jane Cox and Lecturer in Theater Suzanne Agins, will take place steadily over the 2019-20 academic year and will culminate in evenings of performance in the Berlind Theatre at McCarter Theatre Center in April 2020 and at Reunions 2020. Agins, a Princeton alumna and professional director, will help the student-alumnae pairs to weave the resulting short pieces into a full-length evening of theater. Wesley Cornwell ’16 will design the set, and Victoria Davidjohn ’19 will design the lighting.
SPECIAL NOTE MARCH 10, 2020: In response to the threat of COVID-19 and following the recommendation of Princeton University Health Services, the performances related to this project will be postponed until Fall 2020. One performance will be on October 9, 2020, in the Wallace Theater at the Lewis Arts complex. More details on other performances will be determined soon.
- Gwynn MacDonald ’87, Patricia Chen ’20 and Rosamond van Wingerden ’20 — interviewing Helena Novakova ’72
- Whitney Mosery ’08 and Glenna Galarion ’21 — interviewing Tina De Varon ’78
- Ronee Penoi ’07 and Paige Allen ’21 — interviewing Carla Gail Wilson ’71
- Cara Reichel ’96, Kateryn McReynolds ’20 and Vydhourie Thiyageswaran ’21 — interviewing Debra Meloy-Elmegreen ’75
- Marisol Rosa-Shapiro ’07, Haydon John ’21 and Katharine Matthias ’21 — interviewing Helen Lee Zia ’73
- Najla Said ’96, Leila Abou-Jaoude ’22 and and Myrha Qadir ’22 — interviewing Alice Eve Cohen ’76
- Jill Sigman ’89, GS ’98
- Kay-Megan Washington ’88, Eliana Cohen-Orth ’21 and Magdalena Poost ’22 — interviewing Vera Marcus ’72
RESEARCH + ADVISING TEAM:
- Fara Dhaboiwala, Department of History Advisor
- Jessica Mack, Primary researcher
- Alissa Matlovsky, Alumna Advisor
- Jane Shidler, Alumna Ambassador
History of Women at Princeton University — Princeton University Library
“50 Years Ago, Princeton Trustees Voted to Admit Women as Undergraduates” — Princeton Alumni Weekly
“Critical Languages, Critical Steps: How an artifact of the Cold War brought change to Princeton” — Princeton Alumni Weekly
“Alumnae leaders reflect on 50 years of undergraduate coeducation at Princeton” — Princeton University Advancement
“Stories of Women at Princeton” Online Tour — Princeton University Campus Iconography Committee
“’How History is Made’: In Search of Princeton’s First African American Daughter” — Princeton University Archives, Mudd Manuscript Library Blog
RESEARCH SUBJECT PHOTOS, THEN AND NOW: