Each year, the Lewis Center for the Arts provides students the opportunity to spend the summer pursuing a project in the creative and performing arts. Current first-year students, sophomores or juniors may submit applications for course, travel, and/or thesis research costs related to their studies. Award winners and amounts are determined by a committee of Lewis Center faculty members.
Applications for summer 2020 are now closed. Students will be notified of funding decisions via email on April 17, 2020.
SPECIAL NOTE FOR 2020 APPLICANTS:
Students – please consider this information when applying for summer funding:
The Tiger Alert issued on 3/4/2020 recommended that University community members cancel or postpone all travel to CDC Warning Level 3 countries for the summer. Those planning summer trips to Asia and Europe are urged to consider postponing their plans now. The University will reassess whether additional restrictions should be applied for summer travel by April 1, 2020. The alert specifically stated that: “Campus funding sources should not release payment for any awards in support of summer international activities until this additional guidance has been released.”
SAFE funding administrators can continue to review applications and offer awards; however, in accordance with the Tiger Alert guidance, no campus funding source should release payment of any award in support of an international activity until further notice. Payment for on-campus and off-campus/domestic activities is not restricted at this time.
We advise students receiving SAFE award offers for international travel activities against making any non-refundable plans until after additional University guidance is provided (by April 1, 2020). Please contact email@example.com with any questions. The latest University guidance for students, faculty and staff is available on the University’s Emergency Management website.
For all non-travel related questions, please email Mary O’Connor at firstname.lastname@example.org.
SUMMER RESEARCH FUNDING AWARDS MADE POSSIBLE BY:
- Alex Adam ‘07 Award (Three projects will be awarded at $7,500 each to Princeton University first-year students, Sophomores and Juniors)
- The Sam Hutton Fund for the Arts (Awarded to Lewis Center for the Arts first-year, Sophomore or Junior Students)
- The Carpenter Family Fund for Comparative Literature and the Creative Arts (available to a student whose summer research work is at the intersection of comparative literature and the arts.)
- Peter B. Lewis Summer Fund (Awarded to Lewis Center for the Arts first-year, Sophomore or Junior Students)
- Mallach Senior Thesis Fund (Awarded to a Lewis Center for the Arts Junior Student)
- Mellor Fund for Undergraduate Research (Awarded to Lewis Center for the Arts first-year, Sophomore or Junior Students)
- The Mary Quaintance ‘84 Fund for the Creative Arts Award (Awarded to Lewis Center Creative Writing or Visual Arts Sophomores and Juniors)
- Service Focus Internships in the Arts – Support for arts summer internships that have a service focus
For information about prizes awarded by the faculty in recognition of outstanding work — which are not open to application — see Student Prizes Awarded for Excellence.