Each year, the Lewis Center for the Arts provides students the opportunity to spend the summer pursuing a project in the creative and performing arts. Current first-year students, sophomores or juniors may submit applications for course, travel*, and/or thesis research costs related to their studies. Award winners and amounts are determined by a committee of Lewis Center faculty members.
Summer Funding for 2021-22
Applications closed on March 4, 2022. Students who submitted applications will be notified about funding decisions by the end of April.
The Lewis Center is accepting applications for community-based summer projects in the arts!
Travel Note for Summer 2022
As of Feb. 1, 2022, under University travel policy, all domestic travel for students may resume with no restrictions, subject to local public health rules. Undergraduate international travel remains suspended. If you would like to consider traveling internationally in summer 2022, please include those details in your proposal but also include a second plan should international travel not be allowed for summer.
Summer Research Funding Award Sponsors
(Students need not apply for any particular funding source when proposing a project. The committee will determine what funding source is used for each student’s project.)
- Alex Adam ‘07 Award (Three projects will be awarded at $7,500 each to Princeton University first-year students, Sophomores and Juniors)
- Mallach Senior Thesis Fund (Awarded to a Lewis Center for the Arts Junior Student)
- The Hartman Feldman Fund for the Arts (Awarded to Lewis Center Dance or Music Dept. students)
- The Sam Hutton Fund for the Arts (Awarded to Lewis Center for the Arts first-year, Sophomore or Junior Students)
- The Carpenter Family Fund for Comparative Literature and the Creative Arts (available to a student whose summer research work is at the intersection of comparative literature and the arts.)
- Peter B. Lewis Summer Fund (Awarded to Lewis Center for the Arts first-year, Sophomore or Junior Students)
- Mellor Fund for Undergraduate Research (Awarded to Lewis Center for the Arts first-year, Sophomore or Junior Students)
- The Mary Quaintance ‘84 Fund for the Creative Arts Award (Awarded to Lewis Center Creative Writing or Visual Arts Sophomores and Juniors)
- Service Focus Internships in the Arts – Support for arts summer internships that have a service focus
For information about prizes awarded by the faculty in recognition of outstanding work — which are not open to application — see Student Prizes Awarded for Excellence.